QQI Level 6 Designing Food Safety Management Systems 6N20006
Programme Information QQI Level 6 Designing Food Safety Management Systems 6N20006
Have you completed previous HACCP training at management level?
Are you looking to expand your knowledge of HACCP and food safety systems?
This advanced HACCP course is just the programme for you. You will explore how risk assessment can provide food safety
preventative controls and improve systems and procedures; investigate how food fraud can be a threat to your business and
understand your legal responsibilities.
The programme duration overall is 50 hours comprising of 3 days of learning with the last day given over to revision, questions
and answer session and exam and assessment briefing. You will be expected to give 25 hours of self directed learning [studying
and researching on your own]; of which 15 hours is expected to be given over to the work based project. Note: Learners must
pass both elements of the exam [theory based exam + project] separately to achieve certification.
On successful completion of the programme, you will be awarded with a QQI certificate at Level 6 for Food Safety Management.
The programme also leads onto the QQI Level 6 Conducting Food Standards Auditing Programme. You may also access further
training leading to a range of QQI awards on the National Framework of Qualifications in various disciplines.
You must be proficient in spoken and written English.
You must be over 18 years of age.
It is expected that the learner would have previous food safety hygiene training at the preceding level of this award and
at a minimum NFQ Level 5 or equivalent. This training may have been achieved by means of formal training and/or on
the job training.
It is advisable to bring a copy of the Irish Standard relevant to your work eg IS340:2007 Hygiene in the Catering Sector
or IS 341:2007 Hygiene in Wholesale & Retail, IS342 Hygiene in Food Processing or other applicable food standard.
At the end of this programme the learner will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of legislation, standards and guides applicable to the food industry,
- Comprehend the basis of the four food hazards in relation to the practical application and design of a food safety system
- Understand the relevance of potentially hazardous food groups, food preservation and shelf life
- Be able to complete a hazard analysis based on risk, appreciating the importance of hazard prevention, understanding the
difference between process hazard analysis and threat assessment [TACCP].
- Develop, implement and document the procedures and processes required to ensure the food safety management system
complies with legislative demands especially for verification, validation and review
- Know where to find applicable sources of information in order to keep up to date with legislation, standards, technology
and emerging risks.
Roles of Regulatory Bodies
Food hazards, Food preservation and shelf life
Complete a hazard analysis [case study]
Validation & verification
Other tools to
maintain the FSMS
Written Examination 40 %